Section 2: The Internet Providers Anti-Spam Creed
- I will make sure that my company has the legal basis and
contractual tools needed to promptly dispose of abusive customers, and
refuse service to any new customer who shows signs that they will be or have
previously been a "problem" customer. I shall utilize the right to refuse
service to anyone if allowed by applicable law.
- I will immediately dispose of any customer who spams or attempts
to spam in any way.
- I will immediately dispose of any customer who breaks into
computers or attempts to break into computers.
- I will immediately dispose of any customer who attempts to
degrade, destabilize or otherwise harm my network, my computers or any other
component of the Internet.
- I will immediately dispose of any customer if spam is reported
coming from any location that advertises web pages or mailboxes that are
hosted on my network.
- I will establish and staff a department that addresses abuse
incidents in a prompt fashion (taking action in minutes or hours, not days
or weeks). This department will investigate spam and other abuse reports,
particularly those incidents originating on my network. This department
has the authority to immediately dispose of any customer found to be
responsible for or benefiting from spam or other abuse.
- I will establish source verification, content filtering and
source blocks on my mail servers to prevent them from accepting spam or other
abuse, both from outside my network and from my own customers.
- I will impose network packet blocks of my choosing against any
network or addresses that host spammers or hackers, or that have open relays
or proxies that those network operators will not correct or eliminate.
- I will configure my network to prevent it from being used by
spammers and make it resistant to hackers.
- I and my company will not buy or show any interest in any product
sold by a spammer.
(That includes refusing to buy from vendors that have spammed you.)
- I will promptly report all illegal activities to the authorities
that are detected or reported, including illegal acts of my own customers.
- I will not sell or share my customers e-mail addresses or other
- I will not place customers e-mail addresses or other information
in a position where it could be obtained by others.
- I will make sure that all computers and equipment under my
control cannot be used by hackers or spammers.
- I will test all servers on my network or configure my network to
make sure that only my customers can relay mail through my servers.
- I will use mail server software that indicates in the mail headers
exactly where each received piece of mail came from and does nothing that
could conceal a spammer.
- Any software that I provide to my customers will be in a
configuration that prevents the software from being exploited by spammers or
- I will encourage or force customers to pick non-obvious passwords
and require them to be changed at least once a year.
- I will prohibit my customers from running proxy software that
could allow a spammer or hacker to gain that customers network privileges.
I will dispose of a customer who refuses to stop using such software.
- I will prohibit FORMMAIL, Qmail, Lotus Domino and similar
vulnerable mail-handling software from all servers on my network, including
those containing customer web sites.
- I will make sure that every active IP address on my network has
valid and unique forward and reverse DNS.
- Netblocks that I assign to my customers will be registered so
that these subdivisions are visible to other Internet Providers using WHOIS.
- I will monitor my network for improper activity and dispose of
those customers that are responsible.
The information is provided by the author and contributors "AS IS" and any
express or implied warranties, including, but not limited to, the implied
warranties of merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose are
disclaimed. In no event shall the author or contributors be liable for
any direct, indirect, incidental, special, exemplary, or consequential damages
(including, but not limited to, procurement of substitute goods of services;
loss of use, data, or profits; or business interruption) however caused and
on any theory of liability, whether in contract, strict liability, or tort
(including negligence or otherwise) arising in any way out of the use of
this information even if advised of the possibility of such damage.
There is no obligation to provide any form of support, updates or assistance,
and such queries may not receive any acknowledgment.
Section 1: The Internet Customers Anti-Spam Creed
Section 3: Internet Customer Anti-Spam Responsibilities
Section 5: Internet Provider Anti-Spam Responsibilities
The Anti-Spam Index
Visit the nemesis.lonestar.org
home page and index